Thursday, May 16, 2013

The world around me.

Do you ever look at the world around you or are you so used to the scenery that it all just disappears into the background of your life? I was thinking a lot about that this morning as I was walking around the Gallery.
In case you didn't know besides creating and designing jewelry and accessories I also work at The Backdooor Gallery. A wonderful Art Gallery in Fredericksburg, Va.

In the mornings I love to walk the Gallery for exercise, as I was walking this morning I noticed something on a painting. The trees in this painting were made of words, strips of paper cut from a book. Now this may not seem like a huge thing to notice, but I have walked by this painting everyday, numerous time, for over a month. You think I might have noticed a detail like that.

It really go me to thinking about how many details in this life do I miss. It is so easy to get wrapped up in my  problems, pleasures, wishes, chores, desires that I stop looking at the things around me. Maybe it's because we don't often just stop. This morning I stopped to fill a bucket with water and as  I stood there I noticed a newly hatched praying mantis, thin as a needle and only 1/2 and inch long. It was so tiny I would have missed it if I done my usual running around trying to multi task.

So I am going to make a point to occasionally stop, and look, and notice some of the little things that make up this life. I need to take time to be in the moment instead of rushing to the next. While I have always believed age is a number my number keeps getting higher. I need to start now because one day I will be out of minutes...and then it's onto the next adventure!!


No comments:

Post a Comment